MapBox Tilesets

MykleMykle Global Mapper UserPosts: 377Trusted User
edited August 2014 in Raster Data
Global Mapper v15.2.1 (b052114) [64-bit] [+GEM] - REGISTERED

Hello Mike,

Thanks again for copying the build version to the clipboard when selecting
Help | Send Support Request or
Help | Global Mapper Forum

Including the build version in posts is very easy.

1. Note that:
Help | Help | General Information | New in this Version
does not include a 15.2 section
(I have updated my version from a daily build, not reinstalled by using the setup program).

2. File | Export | Export Web Format | MapBox MBTiles Tileset
works well to create <filename>.mbtiles , and they display nicely in the OruxMapsandroid application.

Is Global Mapper able to READ these mbtiles files?

This question is more for reference, in case I might want to change the coverage or just to work with the map within GE. It is not presently a problem.

Thanks,
Mykle

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2014
    Mykle,

My included help has a v15.2 What's New in the New In This Version section. Does your file show v15.1 at the top? The help is being constantly updated so the minor point updates (like v15.2.1) will grab the latest.

You can't yet import MBTiles, but that is on the todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • MykleMykle Global Mapper User Posts: 377Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    Mike,

Here's build version and the first line in
    Help | Help | General Information | New in this Version

Global Mapper v15.2.1 (b052114) [64-bit] [+GEM] - REGISTERED
    WHAT'S NEW IN Global Mapper v15.1

Downloading the latest and greatest and checking again:

Global Mapper v15.2.2 (b052214) [64-bit] [+GEM] - REGISTERED
    WHAT'S NEW IN Global Mapper v15.1

I'm sure that if I ran the full setup, the 15.2 stuff would appear.
    If you want it to appear with an update from a daily build, then a tweak to the files appears to be needed.

Note that this version is the only version (15.2.1) and flavor (64-bit) that I have installed and available.
    I have checked in Program Files, Program Files (x86), and in ProgramData and don't find any potentially conflicting folders/files.

I'll have a few comments about MBTiles in a separate post.

Thanks,
    Mykle
    edited May 2014
    Mykle,

Ah yes it's because you just got a daily build and not the full setup. The help files aren't included in the daily build .zip files, just in a full installer, so you've got whatever help files were included with the last full installer that you ran.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • MykleMykle Global Mapper User Posts: 377Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    Mike,

(ran a full setup and 15.2 is included in the help file. thanks)

While we are asking for IMPORT of MBtile files, there are a few options that would be useful during EXPORT of MBtiles.

The option "Set up what zoom levels to display selected layer(s) at" works well for screen display.

It would help to be able to set a scale by choice of web-style zoom level
    (are tile scales uniform between formats, or would we need to choose a zoom level scheme, or refer to a table of levels and scales?).

Can these display settings be used during web format exports
    (layers are included on particular zoom levels)?

Can these display settings be used during raster format exports
    (the export scale determines whether a layer is included or not)?

If any of these are appropriate, they can go on the wish list. I am not in the middle of a project where they would be used immediately.

Thanks,
    Mykle
    edited May 2014
    Mykle,

I've added a todo item (#13735) to be able to specify the web-style zoom scale numbers as a range of zoom levels to show maps at when setting up the display levels for maps.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • hiltonsoftwarehiltonsoftware Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited August 2014
    I use QGIS to test my MBTILES export from Global Mapper. Just drag the file in and voila
    It would be great to preview them in Global Mapper and maybe to see what zoom level your out to debug any issues
    Mykle,

I've added a todo item (#13735) to be able to specify the web-style zoom scale numbers as a range of zoom levels to show maps at when setting up the display levels for maps.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,681
    Hello,

We have implemented support for importing MapBox MBTiles data sets.  This function is in Global Mapper 18 daily builds dated December 7, 2016, or later. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Thank you for the added functionality, I need to be able to import an MBTiles dataset and to export re-projected, georeferenced, tiled PNGs at a particular scale from it.

However, when I do this, the output images contain a mixture of output, some legible, some illegible and some like looking through a frosted window. Any ideas on what's going on?

I would have thought that the loaded data would be listed with the available levels and that selecting a level would display the available tiles at the nominal ground resolution for that level but that doesn't appear to be the case.

In addition, I find that attempting to re-export fails, whether after re-projecting, or at a different scale. There seems to be a lot of files left around in the appdata\...\temp\ folder, some of which are removed after closing the source image.

Cheers,

Danny

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,681

Thank you for the added functionality, I need to be able to import an MBTiles dataset and to export re-projected, georeferenced, tiled PNGs at a particular scale from it.

However, when I do this, the output images contain a mixture of output, some legible, some illegible and some like looking through a frosted window. Any ideas on what's going on?

Without more specifics about what you are doing, it is difficult to say what might be producing your results.  I recommend that you send a detailed description of your workflow (including screen captures of your export options), your data, and the results to Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com).  This will ensure that the support team knows about the problem, and will expedite a solution.

I would have thought that the loaded data would be listed with the available levels and that selecting a level would display the available tiles at the nominal ground resolution for that level but that doesn't appear to be the case.

As the user zooms in, Global Mapper displays higher resolution tiles from the data set.  You are correct that there is not a way to display the tiles at a specific zoom level.

In addition, I find that attempting to re-export fails, whether after re-projecting, or at a different scale. There seems to be a lot of files left around in the appdata\...\temp\ folder, some of which are removed after closing the source image.

Again, we would need more information to determine what is happening here.  As the tiles are displayed in Global Mapper, they are cached to disk and removed when the data set gets closed.  I expect that is what you are seeing with the temp files.

Cheers,
    Bob