Global Mapper v25.0

bugged / failed export of garmin raster maps

yianni
yianni Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2014 in Bug Report
Hi all,

Sometimes I have to georeference pdfs and after I do that, load em up on a handheld after I create a garmin raster map file.

Now the nice thing with these is that I can drop it on google earth and they tend to land bang on where they are supposed to be.

Now since we upgraded the machines to Win 7, every time I do that (with Global Mapper v.14) I get the attached image on google earth.

Any ideas why?

Thanks all
y

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2014
    Can you try with the latest trial from Global Mapper Downloads and see if you get the same issue? We have seen issue with embedded images with upper-case vs. lower-case in Google KMZ files due to a bug in newer versions of Google Earth. In the latest GM we automatically work around that bug in GE, so if you try the latest trial you can see if that fixes it and is indeed the source of the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • yianni
    yianni Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi Mike,

just to close this one off, it was version related. We upgraded to v 16.2 a few months back and now I do not have this issue any more.

Thanks

y
  • yianni
    Hi again

I seem to struggle to let this one go.

The latest release of GM (16.2.7) messed up a perfectly working export to garmin raster maps function and as it was the latest release prior to v17 was out the response I got from blue marble was to upgrade to v17 as basically v16 is not supported anymore. Something that I have found very disappointing personally.

By the way, this feature never worked in v14 (google was blamed for that) so what I have to do to go around this now is to use an old v12 that I have just to perform the above. I find it a little frustrating but hey, I get the job done.

I know that you are all doing a great job in GM and it is still by far my favorite package to use for GIS however I have noticed that some functions tend to stop working when a new software release is implemented or some odd glitches appear where there weren't any.

Don't let it slip!

thanks

y

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

What is the build date for Global Mapper 16.2.7?

What do you mean by "messed up a perfectly working export to garmin raster maps function"?  Please provide more details about the problem.  Is it the same one described in the original post (which you said was fixed) or something else?

Cheers,

Bob
  • yianni
    Hi Bob,

thanks for getting back to me.

In built 16.2.7 the function "send raster maps to connected garmin device" comes back with an "attempted an unsupported operation" response" from GM, after GM hungs for a bit.

All 16.x builds before 16.2.7 did not have that.

I am afraid that I did not say it was fixed. I am under the impression that when I click "no", the forum automatically takes that as an "answered" response. 

We left the forum based  discussion with me having to contact global mapper support and the conservation that ensued ended with the following two options: resort to an older install of v16.x or upgrade to v17.

please refer to the following forum links:

http://forum.globalmapperforum.com/discussion/comment/46623/#Comment_46623

and for another bug that appeared with the same v16 built: 

http://forum.globalmapperforum.com/discussion/12981/esc-button-reloads-settings-card#latest

Currently upgrade patches that have a negative affect on parts of the software that used to work fine challenges the benefit of said patches.
    My problem is that the issues might not rise straight away, as some of the functions are not used all the time. If the issue is discovered before a major version release, then it tends to be looked after by BM but if it is discovered after a major release it is not dealt with the same vigor.

I put together a quick summary of versions and the garmin raster maps function, which seems to have had a troubled existence in the last 5 years or so:

v12: problem with garmin raster maps identified and solved by patch release (yeah!)
    v13: no such problem
    v14: no such problem until google released an upgrade for google earth - (please read above threads)

v15: I cannot commend on v15 as I never got the chance to work with that version.
    v16.X: no such problem
    V16.2.7: problem with garmin raster maps again - > solution is to upgrade to v17 or to revert to an older install.

Built date for v16.2.7 that I am running is: Sep 25 2015, which I think came right before v17 was released.

Thanks for looking into this!

kind regards,
    y
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

You can get an updated version of Global Mapper 16.2.7 that includes a fix for the problem with "Send Raster Maps to Connected Garmin Device" here.

Cheers,

Bob
  • yianni
    Hey Bob,

thanks for your quick response. 

I ll get it installed and get back to you.

Kind regards,
    yiannis