Global Mapper v25.0

SMOOTH command falsifies Area/Line features

naugustin
naugustin Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2014 in Technical Support
Today I found a problem (bug?) with using the Smooth command in GM v15.1:

We have some angular area features, which we want to smooth a little i.e. to get rid of the corners a bit to get a better visual impression. However, when we use the Smooth command via 'Move/Reshape' as well as 'Vertex Editing' then the new feature becomes smaller than the original one and is not really smoothened, means that still a lot of angels are present. But the main problem is that the new features are partially offset of more than 0.5 km what falsifies the resulting areas.

I attached a screen to illustrate what I mean: green is the original shape, red the smoothed one.

Is there anything what I can do to improve the result?

Cheers, Nico

Bildschirmfoto 2014-03-24 um 09.51.58.png

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2014
    Nico,

If you first select the area with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and under Move/Reshape select to resample the feature you can add more vertices before smoothing which should help maintain the original coverage area of the shape better. Then you can try smoothing the new area with more vertices.

For the area you have in your screenshot with that few vertices the red smoothed result is about what I would expect as the smoothing doesn't add additional vertices but just smooths out what is there, which can change the shape and coverage of the area. That result is about as smooth looking as you can get with that few vertices.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • naugustin
    naugustin Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2014
    Perfect - first tests work fine!
    Thanks a lot :D
    Nico