Global Mapper v25.0

Error when loading multiple LAS files

the4thworld
the4thworld Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2013 in Bug Report
I was loading a large number of very large LAS files when I got the following error:
Unexpected error while rendering overlays.
Exception: bad allocation
Dlgv32View.cpp - 10999
Version: v15.0.8 (32-bit)
Build Time: Nov 21 2013 09:36:23

I had loaded the data in preview mode (1 of 10,000) to try to reduce the load times so I could identify AOIs but I'm unsure if that is related.

If I zoomed to the full extent it did not return the same error and did display the data. When I tried to zoom in though the error returned and the screen turned black. Please let me know if you need additional information surrounding this issue.

Thank you,
Matt

Comments

• the4thworld
    the4thworld Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Update: When I restarted and then tried to open a subset of the files (~10 files at ~50mb apiece) I got the following error:
    Unexpected C++ error, program will exit.
    Exception: bad allocation
    Dlgv32.cpp - 650
    Version: v15.0.8 (32-bit)
    Build Time: Nov 21 2013 09:36:23

I then got a runtime error closing out the program.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2013
    It doesn't sound like you are loading nearly enough files to run out of memory. Can you first try to get the latest build just in case there was something strange in the build you have? I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • the4thworld
    edited November 2013
    Mike,
    Using the new build I loaded all the files in preview mode (147 files, 30-180mb in size, 1 of 10,000 preview) and received a new error message seen below. Red text is my redaction:

Unable to open file <path>/<file>.las
    Encountered an improper argument.
    LidarLasOverlay.cpp - 1707
    Version: v15.0.8h (32-bit)
    Build Time: Nov 26 2013 09:28:02

and

Unhandled exception processing command message 32772 with code 0.
    Write access violation at data address 0x63006D10,
    program address 0x7C919AF2.

Version: v15.0.8h

After which GM closed.

Retried with fewer files (~20) and no preview and successfully loaded and viewed them, for a moment, then GM just disappeared while zooming. No error message ever appeared so I checked Task Manager, and there was still a GM process running but I could not revive the application. Just to be sure, I killed the process and re-opened GM and reloaded the data. This time while zooming and panning I got the error below.

Unknown error, application will exit.
    Invalid parameter detected in function .
    Expression:
    Version: v15.0.8h (32-bit)

I know this is quite a bit of information, so I hope it's somewhat useful in tracking down the root cause.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2013
    Matt,

That is a different problem, I just messed up the build earlier today so it was randomly crashing. If you download again it should be properly put together and not crash that way anymore. If you see the 'h' in the Version number (like v15.0.8h) that means the build was messed up.

I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • the4thworld
    edited November 2013
    Mike,
    It appears the fully loaded LAS files (about 20 or so files) are now working properly. However, when I load the full dataset in preview mode (about 150 files) I'm still encountering an issue. I don't get an error message but no points render on the display, regardless of zoom level, number of files turned on, etc. Here's the weird thing though. That behavior only occurs if it's a fresh instance of GM. If I load all the files in a fresh instance it doesn't render; but if I unload all and then open the exact same files with the exact same settings it does render. Very strange.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2013
    Matt,

How many points are in the files? If you are doing a 1:10000 preview that is applied separately for each file, so if there were less than 10,000 points per file you would just get 1 point per file. I just tested and found a problem with files with only a single point where they wouldn't always display, so perhaps that was hitting you. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • the4thworld
    edited December 2013
    Mike,
    The smallest of the files has 325k points and the largest has 15.8 million. So there should not have been a scenario where the number of points were <1 when a preview of 1:10k was applied.

I ran the new build and it appears the issue has been resolved. I used the same datasets and loaded them with the same parameters and everything loaded on a fresh instance the first time so I feel this issue is resolved. If it comes back up I will let you know.

As always, I appreciate the speedy response!

Thank you,
    Matt