Global Mapper v25.0

Measured elevations for area features

gregleon
gregleon Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
I have shp file of polygons and use the digitizer tool to find max/min elevations(and other stats). This tool adds a unit to the resultant attributes...How do I remove this m letter from these attributes? I tried the EDIT FEATURES tool but when I selected all polygons from the layer and edited the attribute(removed the m from the attribute max elev)...it overwrote all of the attribute values for each feature with the same elevation value( it did remove the m though).

Comments

• Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Try "calc attribute", and multiply the whole column with the "m" appended by 1 to a new (or the same) column.
  • gregleon
    gregleon Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Forgive my ignorance...I am not sure how to multiply by the letter m( the multiply function only allows numerical values). can you provide more exact detail on your advised approach?
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Sorry, that was a poorly written sentence. Right click on the layer with the "m"'s attached to the elevations and select "calc attribute". Choose the attribute with m's attached as the source, choose the same (or create another) attribute as the destination. Select to multiply, and multiply by 1, not by "m".
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2013
    Actually the CALC ATTR may out-smart you there as it should multiply and re-format the numeric part, but keep the suffix. There is actually an easier way. If you select the Measure Tool, then right-click and uncheck the option to Append Unit Name to Measure Attributes, then calculate the elevation statistic attributes, you should then get the raw numbers.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • gregleon
    gregleon Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Mike
    I attempted your recommended approach but the units were still appended...do I need to set that switch prior to importing my source layers?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2013
    You have to do it before you calculate the elevation attributes. So uncheck the option, then re-calculate the elevation attributes and the new values should have the text gone.

To update existing attributes you can also use the Search->Search and Replace menu command and search on ' m' and replace with an empty string in the attributes of interest.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation