Global Mapper v25.0

PDF export problems.

EricGagne
EricGagne Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
Hi Mike,

I'm having a few problems getting things the way I want in a pdf. Things like lines that stay thing although I increase their width in GM, patterns on area that are properly displayed in the legend bu appear as solid colors in the map, that kind of things.

Is this kinda of thing inherent to the "young" 64 bit pdf ? Are the results with the 32 bit GM better ?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2013
    There shouldn't be any differences using the 64-bit PDF library vs. the 32-bit one. However some things, like area patterns other than a solid fill, are not supported in the PDF library at all, so they are converted to solid colors. If you want exactly the appearance you see in GM you would have to export to a raster format (like GeoTIFF), then load that back in and export from that to GeoTIFF. However you lose the vector nature of the data in the PDF at that point.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • TBall
    TBall Global Mapper User
    edited July 2013
    I would like to be able to use exported GeoPDFs on my mobile devices (both Android and iOs). The mobile app to do this is PDF-Maps from Avenza. I have been able to import both GeoPDFs and Geospatial PDFs (not actually the same thing due to Terrago IP issues.) PDF's pulled into PDF-Maps process without complaining but when opened complain that the Geo information is lost. Export is from v.14.2 (64-bit) Same happens in v.12 and v.13 Am I missing something? Any plans for going with either or both standards? Thanks Mike.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2013
    The Avenza PDF Maps app should work with geo-spatial PDF files created with Global Mapper. What projection do you have set on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog when you export from Global Mapper? It could just be that some part of the projection is not recognized by Avenza and switching to a different one would work. Also if you load the PDF back into Global Mapper is it positioned properly?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • TBall
    TBall Global Mapper User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks. I think you put your finger on it. The exported Geo-PDF does work in Avenza's PDF-Maps when I start from a map in UTM. They do not work when exporting a map in Geographic (technically not projected). I tend to work in geographic and PDF-Maps works in Geo, UTM, and several others projections (including National Grid). Having to go to move to UTM just adds one step. Thanks again Mike.
  • MAD
    MAD Global Mapper User
    edited July 2013
    Hello,
    i have a question about exporting pdf; I have a raster data and i want to export it as fixed scale and A4 size. it exported but although check fill page it hasn't fill page. There are some empty area page's down and up. Actually i asked is there any method for fill the page or keep it empty just below.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2013
    Is there data loaded in the unfilled parts of the page? Also what are your margins set to? The fill to page option won't fill anything in the specified margin areas.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • MAD
    MAD Global Mapper User
    edited August 2013
    There is no data in unfilled parts,margin sets: "0" every edge. I think,i rough it to have both A4 size and 1:300000 scale. So becoming proportion of data settling.
    Thanks for help Mike
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2013
    So far the 'fill to page' works for me so long as there is some data available in the areas outside what you specified to use. I also get no margin at all if I set all margins to 0. What version of Global Mapper are you using?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • MAD
    MAD Global Mapper User
    edited August 2013
    i'm using v14.2 and thanks you assist me to solve this problem. i can per image to fix gridded. Thank you mike.