Global Mapper v25.0

need suggestions!!! - loading LiDAR file fail

mkangas
mkangas Global Mapper User
edited June 2013 in Technical Support
This is my first time loading Lidar data - (using GM ver 12)
downloaded file from Ohio Gov site for Jefferson county, have proper projection setting (confirmed by Ohio Gov GIS rep) however I cannot get it to import into the correct location. Because it is very time-consuming to get this file in, and am out of ideas, I hoping for some suggestions.

Am I just doing this wrong?
  • I am opening data files, selecting LiDAR file (.las) and inserting using the specified projection.
(pulled from metadata:<identCode Sync="TRUE">NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Ohio_North_FIPS_3401</identCode>)
  • I am selecting point cloud, preview setting and ground shots only
(GM still runs out of memory every other attempt even with these minimum settings)

Every time the file falls south and east of where it should lay.
Thank you for any input....

Comments

• Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited June 2013
    mkangas wrote: »
    This is my first time loading Lidar data - (using GM ver 12)
    downloaded file from Ohio Gov site for Jefferson county, have proper projection setting (confirmed by Ohio Gov GIS rep) however I cannot get it to import into the correct location. Because it is very time-consuming to get this file in, and am out of ideas, I hoping for some suggestions.

Am I just doing this wrong?
    • I am opening data files, selecting LiDAR file (.las) and inserting using the specified projection.
    (pulled from metadata:<identCode Sync="TRUE">NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Ohio_North_FIPS_3401</identCode>)
    • I am selecting point cloud, preview setting and ground shots only
    (GM still runs out of memory every other attempt even with these minimum settings)

Every time the file falls south and east of where it should lay.
    Thank you for any input....

Hello,

The current version of Global Mapper (v14) has many enhancements for handling Lidar data. With 14.1, a variety of specialized import and export options for .las files were added.

Evaluation licenses can be requested directly through the Global Mapper registration interface. When you start the application, it will open a license dialog. You can select the last option to "Request a 2-Week Trial License" to automatically activate via the internet, or use the form to send in an email with the necessary information to receive a license via email.

To download the Global Mapper client application, please use the following link: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/global-mapper/product/download_complete.php

Once installed hitting 'F1' to access the Global Mapper Help documents and reviewing the 'Whats New in Global Mapper' section will give you a more comprehensive breakdown of the enhancements.

For a video overview, you can also check out the Blue Marble Webinar covering the Lidar Enhancements

[h=2]Global Mapper v14.1 - What's New: Blue Marble Geographics Previously Held Webinars [/h]
  • ANGLICO
    ANGLICO Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2013
    I'll watch this. I too failed to load LIDAR data several years ago, an older GM version.