Global Mapper v25.0

Data Exporting in Different Format

Rkosei
Rkosei GM UserTrusted User
edited May 2013 in Suggestion Box
Please I would like to make this humble suggestion if only it will suit your product. Could Global Mapper supports a range of data formats, so you can see data from Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and more directly?.
Ex. Once you search with the Search Vector Data tool, could the list of item (ex.Names of Towns and Villages) be exported in Excel or Access etc? I Think this maybe helpful to us.:)

Thanks Richard
Ghana

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2013
    Richard,

We do plan on adding more direct access to SQL Server and possibly Excel in the future. You can also access Oracle Spatial databases in v14, both for read and write.

You can right-click on the search results window and choose to copy to the clipboard as text. You can then paste that right into Excel or other applications.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Rkosei
    Rkosei GM User Trusted User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks very much Mike for your reply on my suggestion. I did try right-clicking on the search results window and choose to copy to the clipboard as text and was able to paste it on excel and on word. During the pasting it included all the descriptions, feature types, index layers etc. which may not really be needed. If only is possible, I would like to suggest to limit it to only the feature name or one feature type. In this case if you have 100's of names to be exported, it would be easier to read and not end up removing all the feature types and descriptions that are not needed. (Some of us deals with nearly 1000 dxf data files; all combined to form a map.:):))

Thanks Richard
    Ghana
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2013
    Richard,

You could also use the Copy to Clipboard but not as text, then open a new instance of Global Mapper and paste the full features there. You can then use File->Export->Export Vector Data to export a CSV file and have a bit more control over what fields are included in the output.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Rkosei
    Rkosei GM User Trusted User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Mike. That was really helpful. using the Copy to Clipboard works much better for me. Some of us are still catching up with all the tools and features in Global Mapper, so be patient with us:):). I will be coming with more suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Richard
    Ghana